Workshop – Spring Forward Workshop
MKZ is launching a Spring Forward Workshop in February 2018 to give writers deadlines, compassionate feedback, mad skills, and a supportive community.
- Meets 2 times per month for 2-hour sessions in Feb, Mar, and Apr, 2018. Time/day TBD (voice your preference for weekday, evening, or weekend).
- All 6 sessions take place at Hera Hub, 5028 Wisconsin Ave, NW, on Red Line.
- Each class member will submit twice for a total of 150 pages.
- Class fee is $950 and class is capped at SIX people.
Write MKZ at email@example.com so we can set dates and get this party started. I will send contract and payment information. Class fee can be paid up front or in two installments.
“Mary Kay Zuravleff is a powerhouse writer, whose novels made me cheer and worry and howl. But she’s also a powerhouse reader and co-inventor. Her notes and questions made my manuscript come alive again—not a completed thing to pick at or mull over but a living creature to keep feeding.”—John Mauk, author of Field Notes for the Earthbound
Coaching – Write Your Book or Transform Your Draft
1. Write Your Book. Draft your novel, memoir, or story collection.
- Write in a singular voice.
- Embark on a distinctive plot.
- Evoke emotional truths.
- Arrive at a satisfying ending.
MKZ can help you bolster your storytelling and make goals you can meet. In one-on-one sessions, learn how to choose a point of view that fits your story, drop exposition like bread crumbs along the way rather than crusty loaves, craft realistic dialogue, and find the emotional core of your book. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Transform Your Draft. Reshape your pages to match your vision.
- Get generative feedback.
- Identify your book’s emotional core.
- Practice techniques of successful fiction.
- Write your final draft.
MKZ will read and respond to your draft with honesty and consideration. You’ll get 8-10 pages of feedback with suggestions on structure, characters, pacing, and point of view to bring your vision to the page. Some clients desire mini-lessons and writing prompts to deepen characters, use exposition with finesse, illuminate the intimate detail, and grab the reader by the throat. Email email@example.com.
Workshop and coaching sessions are held in NW Washington, DC. Coaching is at an hourly rate of $150, with discounts given to former students and members of DMV Women Writers.
“I’m pressing on and feeling great about my ability to fix the book, thanks to this course. Mary Kay did an impressive job of keeping us on topic and enthused and guiding us towards useful revelations about our work. She is a terrific instructor.”—Robin Traywick Williams, whose manuscript The Key to the Quarter Pole won Richmond Magazine’s 2015 Novel Contest
For more information, contact Mary Kay using the form below or email firstname.lastname@example.org.